Philadelphia’s Lyric Fest to Feature HC Prof. Tom Lloyd’s Setting of Two Poems by BMC Prof. Karl Kirchwey

Posted November 18th, 2010 at 1:32 pm.

This Sunday, Nov. 21, Philadelphia’s Lyric Fest will present “Night and Day: The Harmony of Yin-Yang,” a concert featuring a new work by Haverford Professor of Music Thomas Lloyd. Lloyd’s piece, titled “Fatherly Reflections,” is a setting of two poems by Bryn Mawr Professor in the Arts Karl Kirchwey (Kirchwey is currently on an extended leave while serving as the Andrew Heiskell Arts Director at the American Academy in Rome).

“I originally asked Karl a couple of years ago if I could set some of his poetry in a choral composition for a special event on campus,” says Lloyd in an interview posted on the Lyric Fest website. “Though a different text was eventually requested by the committee in charge of the event, I was so drawn to Karl’s poetry that I was on the lookout for another opportunity to set some poems of his that I had set aside earlier.”

The concert will take place at First Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 21, at 3 p.m. Tickets are available at the Lyric Fest website.