The Bryn Mawr Russian Department, the Russian Language Flagship Programs, and Bryn Mawr’s Film Studies Program will be sponsoring a retrospective of the films by celebrated Russian director Aleksei Guerman, Sr. at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute.
Born in 1938, Guerman began making films at the urging of his father, a well-known Soviet writer, and through a mentorship with the esteemed director Grigory Kozintsev. Although he has directed only a handful of films, Guerman is regarded as one of cinema’s greatest living talents. Limited distribution and a lack of subtitled prints, however, have prevented Western audiences from seeing his films until now. This will be the first North American retrospective of Guerman’s work, and it is rare chance to see his films with subtitles. Each screening will be introduced by Tim Harte, associate professor and chair of the Russian Department at Bryn Mawr. For more information, contact Harte at email@example.com.
Dates & Times
- The Seventh Companion · Tuesday, October 23, 12:00pm
- Trial on the Road · Tuesday, October 23, 5:30pm
- Twenty Days Without War · Tuesday, October 30, 12:00pm
- My Friend Ivan Lapshin · Tuesday, October 30, 5:30pm
- The Fall of Otrar · Tuesday, November 6, 12:00pm