Letter to the Bryn Mawr Community from President Jane McAuliffe

Posted March 19th, 2013 at 2:13 pm.

The following email was sent to the Bryn Mawr community from President Jane McAuliffe on Tuesday, March 19. Read the official announcement.

19 March 2013

Dear Members of the Bryn Mawr Community,

One of the great privileges of my professional career has been my years as President of this distinguished institution. It is therefore with emotions of pride, gratitude and confidence in the future that I share with you the news that I have conferred with the Board of Trustees and will conclude my presidency at the end of this academic year.

It has been an honor to serve as your President for the last five years, years in which we have made extraordinary progress. Together, we have accomplished a great deal and can feel justly proud of the collaboration of trustees, faculty, staff and administration that has produced these results.

Together, we have written The Plan for Bryn Mawr. Recent curricular redesign has given us the E-Sems, the 360⁰s, Focus courses, a revised core, and new majors and minors. Our academic innovations are attracting more prospective students: this year’s applications have set another record in both quantity and quality. We have significantly raised our visibility through national and international conferences, successfully linked our globalization efforts to women’s advancement, and solidified our leadership in blended learning and the digital humanities.

We can boast of students and faculty who win prestigious awards—Fulbrights, Rhodes and Watsons, a Sloan and a Guggenheim—and of strong and competitive graduate programs. Our campus looks beautiful and the renovations of Schwartz, Guild and Goodhart enhance our daily lives. Our Tri-Co relationships have never been more robust and we navigated the worst economic downturn of the last half-century so successfully that Moody’s raised our bond rating.

In the life of any institution there are natural times for leadership change. With all that has been achieved in the last five years, the College is well-positioned for the next chapter of its history to be a continuing record of success.

For me personally, immediate plans include reflecting and recharging — and finishing the book on the Qur’an that I have long promised my patient publisher. I also hope to serve Bryn Mawr in any way that benefits this wonderful College.

As I conclude my term as your president, I do so with genuine gratitude for all that I have learned at Bryn Mawr and for the talented people with whom I have been privileged to work. I commend the Board of Trustees for their courage in fostering five years of productive change and for embracing an ambitious vision for Bryn Mawr’s future. I stand in awe of our faculty’s dedication to this College in all of its operations and of their abiding interest in the full development of each of our students. Our students and the many opportunities to spend time with them have continuously energized and delighted me and successive groups of student leadership have invariably impressed me with their zeal and good spirits. I have loved meeting so many Bryn Mawr alumnae/i and benefactors. The phrase “life- long learners” perfectly captures the unceasing intellectual curiosity which fuels our graduates. They are superb conversation partners! Through the efforts of an extraordinary staff, our campus life benefits in ways too numerous to list. We are ever in their debt. Finally, I would like to thank my Cabinet, particularly Provost Kim Cassidy, for all that they have done to make the accomplishments of the past five years a true “team effort.”

Yours sincerely,

signature