Aybala Warner Ozturk, MSS Student speaks at Kimberly Wright Cassidy’s Inauguration

Posted September 23rd, 2014 at 10:15 am.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 – Aybala Warner Ozturk, MSS Student speaks at Kimberly Wright Cassidy’s Inauguration

Thank you to the Bryn Mawr community for allowing me this honor on behalf of the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research.

It is a pleasure for me to be here celebrating President Cassidy. First as an undergraduate at Bryn Mawr and now as a graduate student at the School of Social Work and Social Research, I have had the privilege of witnessing President Cassidy’s influence on the Bryn Mawr community firsthand.

As an undergrad I enrolled in President Cassidy’s Ed Psych course, a class that our President is still teaching today. For me, that class was transformative. First and foremost it forced me to wake up at 8am, something I swore to never do in college. More importantly, I was willing to see the early hours of the morning because of the passion and academic rigor President Cassidy encouraged in the classroom. She always made time for her students, serving as a true advocate for our education and showing interest and care in our lives while pushing us to higher academic achievements.

As a graduate student, as well as a college employee, I have witnessed President Cassidy’s warmth and devotion to the Bryn Mawr community extend beyond the walls of the classroom. This past May after the commencement ceremonies ended, I noticed President Cassidy making her way through Pembroke Arch listening intently to a young boy who looked to be about 5 or 6. While their height difference was significant, it was clear that in a few short moments President Cassidy had established a strong relationship with this boy. No matter your connection to Bryn Mawr, President Cassidy appreciates you, listens to you, and welcomes you.  These qualities exemplify what it means to be a Mawrter.

This ideal of a “Mawrter” is near and dear to my heart, especially as it applies to myself and my fellow graduate students at the School of Social Work. President Cassidy’s warmth, acceptance of everyone, nonjudgmental attitude, and embracing of Bryn Mawr’s ideals are assets that everyone at the School of Social Work can testify are necessary qualities to our work and our lives.

President Cassidy your work, your compassion, and positive presence serve as an inspiration to our future social work careers. On behalf of the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research, Congratulations President Cassidy!

Filed under: GSSW by probinson